Monday, July 28, 2008

Post #3

Well well well. Podcasts. The only thing I knew about podcasts before 504 was iTunes and a wonderful podcast called "Ask A Ninja". I highly recommend it. Haha... needless to say I am/was clueless as to what podcasts were or what they do or how I could use them. I think the definitional part has been cleared up for me... but I'm still skeptical about my own ability to use them. I do think its a great tool for recording class lectures for students who were absent, and for providing project instructions/demonstrations, especially for the days when there is a substitute. Even though it appears I managed to make some podcasts and publish them I still don't understand how it all works and I'm not sure I could duplicate it, haha. Is there any difference between what we did in class and just uploading a file you have on your computer, be it video or audio? Conceptually to me, it doesn't, but all the things we were doing involved our cell phones and RSS and who knows what else. At least I still have some time to learn all this stuff before its my turn to do the weekly SMAC podcast.

4 comments:

Nese said...

Hi - It's your older, wiser S-MAC buddy again! :)

I understand your confusion about the use and efficiency of all of these new fangled technology. The good news is that your students will, for the most part, know more than you do about all this stuff. Even in relatively low-income schools (at least in urban areas), the kids are pretty hip to the newest camara/music-playing/recording/internet-uploading devices. Another good resource could be the media studies teacher(s) at your school.

Rebekah said...

Nese makes me feel better about things. Sometimes I worry that I am way behind the times when it comes to using technology, especially cell phone stuff. Heck, most of the time (like now) I can't even find my cell phone.
(-:

Shannon said...

Kristin,
I was wondering the same thing. I think that these podcast are useful, but is it really necessary to use our cell phones for all this stuff? I go through cell phones like its my job! I also enjoyed reading what nese had to say. Now I won't feel as bad about asking my students to help me out.

Cristi said...

I am not sure I could reproduce what we did with the podcasts in class either but I am glad to know about the technology. I think that is the most valuable part of this class...becoming aware of all that is out there. I have already been thinking about ways to use some of these tools but I guess I better wait and see what kinds of things are available at my school...assuming I find a job! Ha, ha...if nothing else, my kids think I am alot cooler now since I know about things like podcasts!