Saturday, July 19, 2008

Post #2

I suck at making titles, obviously.

It was interesting talking about the fair use policies and the other sorts of legal issues surrounding the internet, I'm sure I'm guilty of some minor things but it just seems like there is just SO MUCH that no one would ever be able to keep it all straight and know what to do and when. The wikis were cool too, except for the part where I voted for PB and lost. I was pretty brain dead by friday so I'm not sure how much I actually absorbed but I know I'll be alright.

I think I'm beyond braindead now though... I've been keeping on top of all the assignments so that my weekends are fairly open, because my mom has been flying out here last weekend and this weekend to help me with wedding planning stuff... as if school & planning a wedding weren't hectic enough, try combining them and working on extremely tight deadlines for both!!!!! The break in august will be nice... but I'll be really busy then too and of course lets not forget 2 huge papers to be working on. Oh and I ride my horse almost every day to get ready for a show coming up in a month.

I don't mind being so busy though, it helps the time go by. Of course waking up in the mornings I ask myself what I got myself into.

I suppose thats all for now, more homework awaits.

5 comments:

Jeff Stanzler said...

Liz and I are always a bit concerned that the fair use dimension can feel a little overwhelming, Kristin, especially since the stories we tell are cautionary tales and not (as with the VAST majority of cases) tales of non-problematic educational uses of copyrighted materials.
The challenging thing about fair use is that the guidelines aren't hard and fast. In a way, this is a good thing since it gives room to well-intentioned educators (like YOU) to use copyrighted materials appropriately for teaching purposes.
In case you're interested in a little more information on some of the key questions that we teachers must consider, check out this resource from Temple University's media education lab:
http://tinyurl.com/2wxr5l

Alli said...

Hi Kristen-
I also found the fair use stuff pretty overwhelming. I never thought that you would have to email someone to copy their photo into your blog or something- I guess it's good because it makes the internet a lot safer place, but the whole google thing where you can track your work is very "big brother."
- Alli

Nese said...

If you're lucky enough to have good tech people and media teachers in your school, as I am, then you'll be able to use them as legal info resources. The legal stuff gets more complicated as you begin full-time teaching, however. For example, I have been unable to get a definitive answer from different admins at my school as to whether communicating over email is kosher. Our district lawyer says no, because it's "not a secure" form of communication. However we're encouraged, and required in many cases, to communicate with parents over email about conferences, failing grades, attendance, etc.

Btw, incase it's helpful down the road, my old MAC e-portfolio is at: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/nese/home

Nese said...

Also, here's my old technology blog:
http://ed504nasif.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

It's nice to hear that I'm not alone in being overwhelmed!