Saturday, September 27, 2008

Someone thinks its cool to set their car on panic and it's driving me nuts!

But anyway. Yesterday in class we talked mostly about our webinars, which I had completely forgotten about. I thought the screen cast website was WAY COOL and I'm excited to do that, hah. I also think everyone things I'm crazy for asking if we can do it on our own instead of with a partner- I only asked because it said "you can work with a partner" versus "you and a partner will.." and I know how busy everyone's schedule is so I thought it might make life simpler to not have to worry about when two people can find the time to get together!! I don't necessarily WANT to work on it by myself, either. I'm thinking of some sort of stock simulation game or something as the web 2.0 tool (if that counts?) Since I know that is something interesting for students to do instead of just learning what stocks are, they can be involved in buying/trading them, etc. Still not sure yet, I know theres a lot of things like that though. I'd like to do something I could incorporate into my curriculum someday, but I'm not sure how many economics-related things there are. I did some searching and found one site that looked like it could be interesting. I'm sure there's more out there, I need to do some more digging. Oh, but my point was maybe chris and I could team up and do an econ-related thing. Or anyone else for that matter.

Then we talked about what surprising tech "things" we have found at our placements- a lot of people seemed frustrated about the lack of help available or the lack of willingness to use the resources. This is obviously a recurring trend; I think once we've been teaching for a while we'll notice a change, as old teachers who are set in their ways retire and more young, tech-savvy people like us move in =)

I recently started getting more involved in the class at my placement; my mentor had to leave before the end of the day so I ran the show during 5th period. It was interesting but overall I think it went well! I hate the way my voice sounds on the video camera. I also noticed that my voice/tone is more boring that it sounds to me in my head, so that is something I want to work on. I had a lot of fun though and so far I'm loving it!!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Kristin,

I agree that when you watch yourself on tape the voice can really throw you off. I can get really sing-songy and not even know it.

I think I was on the opposite side of the use of tech spectrum. My mentor teacher loves to send the students to do projects in the Computer labs. I think this is good because students have to search out information, but it can be hard to keep students on task.